Have a little fun! It allows everyone to let their guard down and gives customers a chance to get to know you and have a good time with you. So let the good times roll! Not sure how to do this? Laugh at your mistakes, acknowledge you are human, and don’t feel like you have to be perfect at every little thing.
- “Body spray of seduction with a hint of flame-broiled meat.” This is how Burger King describes Flame, their meat scented perfume. It is hilarious. And a great example of a company that doesn’t take themselves too seriously.
- Movies often release blooper reels. It is just another way of showing that everything isn’t necessarily polished the first time and it is ok to have fun at work.
- Take advantage of your mistakes and imperfections by laughing at them (when they aren’t detrimental to your customer). By acknowledging that you’re human, your customers will be more likely to cut you a little slack.
- Show your customers you don’t take yourself too seriously by planning something in advance. Be it a campaign, a short video, or an April Fool’s Day joke, build something into the plan that shows your fun side.
Application for your business
- Plan out five activities you can do in your business to show your customers you don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Write down two ways you can share some of your “funnier” mess-ups to your customers to show them you are human, and sometimes make mistakes.
1-22. Section 1: Build a relationship with your customers (series)
23-48. Section 2: Make your customers’ lives better (series)
49-62. Section 3: Reward your customers (series)
63. Be cool (code for be yourself)
64. Love what you do (and let it show)
65. Give your business some G.A.S.
67. Take care of your awesome people
68. Be remarkable
69. Be memorable
70. Shake things up
71. Be awesome in unexpected small ways
72. Be awesome in unexpected big ways
73. Start a movement
74. Be fearless
75. Tell the story about your product
76. Do mundane tasks in a new, different, and unexpected way
77. Empower your team to make a less than optimal experience right
79. Have an ego