There are many companies that let you customize what you want within certain guidelines. But then there are the ones who let you personalize what you want by creating something one of a kind, just for you! When customers are able to get something one-of-a-kind, their degree of delight is often taken to a whole new level.
- Designer Nneka Saran does that with her handbags. Customers can choose from among purse designs already available, or they can get a one-of-a-kind hand made design created specifically to meet their needs if they so choose.
- Lamborghini delighted their customers with a car that was only 3 of a kind. Their $4 million dollar Veneno model sold out quickly to three buyers who were eager to claim their ultra limited edition model of the sports car even before it hit the production line.
- Play up the exclusivity of your one-of-a-kind offerings. You likely have a small and specific group of customers who would jump at the chance for something no one or very few others will have the opportunity to have. So be sure to highlight just how unique what you’re making is.
- Sometimes your customers will want something one-of-a-kind, but they won’t be able to fully articulate exactly what it is they are looking for. That’s when your listening skills will come in handy. The better you get to know your customer, the better you will be able to deliver on something customized just for them, with little direction from them.
Application for your business
- Make a list of three products you can make available to your customers that is customized or one-of-a-kind specifically to meet their needs.
- Make a list of three product offering you can make available on an ultra exclusive basis to a select few of your customers.
24. Know your stuff
25. Add value
28. Be a purple cow
29. Be consistent
30. Be accessible